Beginning with the establishment of S. B. Champlin Company,
a jewelry manufacturer, by Stanton Browning Champlin in 1872, The Champlin
Family was at the forefront of business and industry in Rhode Island for three
Under the guidance of
Stanton's son, George Byron Champlin, and then his grandson, George Stanton
Champlin, an industrial empire was created, stretching from Canada to Georgia,
operating companies manufacturing aluminum, copper and brass tube, jewelry,
wire, valves, hand trucks, pipe fittings and hand pumps.
When George S. Champlin died in 1980 at the
age of 98, he was one of the wealthiest individuals in the state.
As their wealth increased, so did the family's interest in
assisting those less fortunate. Together
with his sisters, Florence Champlin Hamilton and Hope Champlin Neaves, George
S. Champlin established The Champlin Foundation Trust in Delaware in 1932. They also created The Second Champlin
Foundation in 1947. The Third Champlin
Foundation was established by George S. Champlin in 1975. The foundations share the same management and
PNC Delaware Trust Company is the trustee for all three.
As of December 31, 2016, we became The Champlin Foundation having merged the three foundations into one.
The Champlin siblings grew up in Rhode Island, and George S.
Champlin and Florence Champlin Hamilton lived their entire lives here. They were both active in philanthropy and
made substantial personal contributions during their lifetimes, often
anonymously. Both Mrs. Hamilton and Mr.
Champlin left the bulk of their estates to the Foundation. None of the three siblings was survived by
children or other heirs.
Since 1932, The Champlin Foundation has distributed nearly
$551M, almost entirely in the State of Rhode Island.